Beginning April 1, 2016, California employers with five or more total employees (whether or not all of those employees live in California) must update their anti-discrimination, anti-harassment, and complaint-investigation policies, and distribute them to employees for signature. These policies must be in compliance with recent amendments to California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), and must be distributed to all employees.
The new regulations include the following:
- Provides for additional protected classes under the FEHA;
- Clarifies harassment liability;
- Updates legal standards and legal remedies of discrimination;
- Revises complaint procedures;
- Clarifies the investigation process;
- Expands record-keeping requirements; and
- Expands the rights of pregnant employees and employees with service animals.